Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Schools is located east of Boonville’s Main Street in a quiet residential neighborhood. The school is blessed with plenty of outdoor space with a small park across 7th Street.
The parish school was established between 1851 and 1856 and in 1910 came under the direction of the Sisters of St. Francis of Milwaukee. The original school stood behind the the present rectory, which the parish office building now stands. Lay teachers taught the first 25 years and then the Sisters of St. Francis of Milwaukee arrived in 1885. The old school became overcrowded by 1923.
In 1925, at the same time the main building of the current school was being completed at a cost of $80,000, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Concordia, Kansas assumed the direction of the school. The Sisters of St. Joseph maintained a significant presence in the school until the 1980’s. Lay faculty now serve the school, some of which were benefactors of the direction provided by the sisters.
The school graduated its first senior class of six in 1929. In total, 292 students graduated from the high school until its closing in 1969. Since then the elementary school has continued to educate children of parish families and those families in the larger community desiring a faith-based education for their children.
In 1969, an addition to the school was completed, consisting of four classrooms designed to serve lower elementary grades. Following that, with the exception of replacement of the heating system and addition of air conditioning in the early 2000’s, no major renovations or expansion projects were undertaken.
In 2009, the “Continuing the Vision” Campaign resulted in the renovation of the existing stage, gymnasium, cafeteria and kitchen into a modern kitchen, spacious cafeteria and a larger pre-school classroom. In 2011, work was started on the long-planned multipurpose building to house a new gym, stage, locker rooms and restrooms and was completed in time for 2012/2013 school year. Additional expansion took place on the mezzanine level with a new computer lab and art room during the 2013/2014 school year.